SBM in a Box Lucknow; Vizag learnings shared with heads of 653 Municipal Bodies
SBM in a Box, a unique tool to transfer Vizag learnings and build capacity of the Uttar Pradesh Municipal Functionaries was delivered in a two-day session in partnership with RCUES (a body established by MoHUA in 1968) and Government of Uttar Pradesh on 19-20 September 2017 at Lucknow.
The day one event was chaired by Shri Suresh Kumar Khanna, Hon’ble Minister, UDD, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh, Mr. Girish Yadav, State Minister, UDD, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh, Mr. Manoj Kumar Singh, Principal secretary, UDD, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh. The focus of the workshop was on orienting all 653 ULBs in the state on preparation towards Swachh Survekshan (SS) 2018 ratings.
On the second day the workshop was chaired by Mr. Manoj Kumar Singh, Principal Secretary, UDD, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh in the presence of Municipal commissioners and SBM functionaries of 10 ULBs; Agra, Jhansi, Khurja, Lalitpur, Lucknow, Kanpur, Ghaziabad, Chitrakoot, Gorakhpur and Shahjahanpur. On the day two the ULBs were given hands-on training for SS 2018 using the SBM in a Box.
The workshops were organized by Govt. of Uttar Pradesh wherein WSUP held technical sessions.
Purpose and Sessions
The capacity building sessions were designed by WSUP. The workshop incorporated proven practices implemented in Visakhapatnam and the related learnings.
Day 1 – 19 September 2017
- The day one workshop focused on orienting all the 653 ULBs in the state on preparation towards Swach Survekshan (SS) 2018 ratings.
- In the session by Mr. Akhilesh Gautam, Country Programme Director, WAI explained the sustainability of the work done in Visakhapatnam was also discussed as a potential for cities to learn and replicate in ULBs of the state.
Day 2 – 20 September 2017
- SBM in a Box [11 tools and instruments] includes a collection of best practices from different cities covering critical factors for success in delivering SBM results.
- The activities designed by WSUP focus on handholding Six Municipal Corporations and Four Municipalities in planning for sanitation awards in 2018.
- The workshop participants were also reinforced with performance indicators under the Swachh Sarvekshan 2018.
- The tools developed as part of SBM in a Box were introduced to the participants and orientation of these tools was conducted during the workshop. The workshop resulted 10 ULB officials having a comprehensive understanding all the components of SBM and hands on application of learnings in the preparation of Action plan to approach SS 2018 for 10 ULBs.
Takeaways and learning for the ULBs
- The successful workshop after senior officials ULB officials were armed with a comprehensive understanding all the components of SBM and hands-on application of learnings in the preparation of Action plan to approach SS 2018 for the said 10 ULBs.
- The workshop received positive feedback from all the participants, including Principal Secretary, Urban Development, Government of Uttar Pradesh, and Municipal Commissioners from Kanpur, Lucknow, Ghorakhpur, Jhansi, Ghaziabad & Agra.